10 things you need to know about new Super Eagles’ German coach
The Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, on Friday selected a German, Gernot Rohr to manage the Super Eagles, this is according to NFF President Amaju Pinnick.
The NFF boss confirmed that the German is currently working on development programmes for the German Football Federation is expected to arrive in Nigeria on Saturday.
Confirming the development, Pinnick said, “We are just tying up the little details left to be handled. The work started quite a while ago but there was the need to wait until everything firmed up before making it public.”
It was learnt that the new coach of the Super Eagles is expected to be in Lagos on Sunday where he would be at the stands to watch the league match between Ikorodu United and Sunshine Stars at the Agege Stadium in Lagos.
Reports say coach Rohr would be introduced to Nigerians in Abuja on Monday.
Below are Ten things about the German coach:
- Gernot Rohr (born 28 June 1953) is a German manager and former footballer
- He was a defender for Bordeaux during his playing time.
- In 1996, he managed Girondins Bordeaux to the UEFA Cup final, where they lost to Bayern Munich over two legs, 0–2 away and 1–3 at home.
- From October 1998 until April 1999 he was sports director of Eintracht Frankfurt.
- He had also coached several clubs including Nantes, Etoile du Sahel, Nice, Ajjaccio, Young Boys and Bordeaux
- Rohr had previously coached three African national teams, Gabon, Niger and Burkina Faso.
- He became manager of Niger national football team in September 2012 but resigned in October 2014.
- On 22 December 2015, he resigned as Burkina Faso national football team manager because of the difficult political situation in the country.
- He was shortlisted for the Guinea national team job in July 2016 but he was not selected.
- In May, 2016, he donated the prize money he got from the Goethe Institute award for the football school of the German-Burkinabe society in Ouagadougou, which was severely damaged after the turmoil of the revolution.
Follow us on Twitter @kristalmediaent, Facebook Kristal Media Entertainmen.