#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu confirms two deaths from Lekki shooting
The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said two deaths have been confirmed from the Lekki shooting that occurred on Tuesday.
Mr Sanwo-Olu said this in an interview with Arise TV on Thursday.
He had earlier said there was no death from the Lekki shooting.
On Wednesday, however, Mr Sanwo-Olu said one death was recorded in the hospital but the state was still investigating whether it was as a result of the shooting.
“Information reaching us now is that a life was lost at Reddington Hospital due to blunt force trauma to the head. It is an unfortunate and very sad loss. This is an isolated case. We are still investigating if he was a protester,” he posted on his Twitter handle.
The Lekki shooting occurred around 7 p.m. on Tuesday when soldiers opened fire on unarmed protesters who were holding a peaceful protest at Lekki toll gate.
The #EndSARS protest, a campaign against police brutality and for the reform of the police, has been holding in different states of Nigeria for more than two weeks.
The protesters at the Lekki toll gate had been protesting peacefully for about a week before Tuesday’s incident, which has been condemned locally and internationally, including by Mr Sanwo-Olu.